Check out #BossBabe for some much-needed inspiration and overall good vibes.
Last week was hard as in the lack of sleep literally killed my vibe…every day. And the week before, social media killed my vibe…every day. I felt heavy and out of touch and while I had started a great post about my 32nd birthday, which passed, by the way, I never published it. It seemed hard to write all good things when bad things are happening all around us. It was hard to thank people for their good wishes on Facebook only to view their racially charged microaggression in their next post.
A few weeks ago, I attended the reopening of Marianne Strokirk salon on the Gold Coast with my girlfriend Sara. We got our hair styled, make-up touched up and introduced to Revitalash. Thankfully, I now have a faster and more natural way to do my brows. More on that later. But it was after a much-needed sit-down dinner, wine, and conversation that Sara threw out the simplest of knowledge. Delete the Facebook app on your phone, she stated matter of fact. People are sitting comfortably at home being brutally honest in their hatred and intolerance. Eventually, that sits heavy on me. I hadn’t deleted it right away but Sara was right, she usually always is. My own mother began to notice that the phone was glued to my hand as I watched people I use to consider friends, share very hateful rhetoric. Enough was enough and so finally, something had to be done regarding social media.
- 5:30 pm is the time I usually end my work day. Until my kids are in bed, the phone is away. Period. While the world falls apart, I can enjoy the joy they bring. Though this has been a house rule for a while, it has been broken a lot more lately.
- I will finally listen to Sara. The Facebook app has been deleted from my phone. It is not a happy place anymore and my time should be limited.
- Delete people and things that do not bring me joy. This included “friends”, acquaintances, clients, brands , who engage in microaggressions and hateful rhetoric. I do not wish them ill. In fact, I wish them peace, love, and compassion.
- I got a few magazine subscriptions and a few book titles to take the place of endless scrolling.
- Order an alarm for our bedroom. A pretty vintage one that brings me joy to look at and that allows my phone to be charged on the opposite side of the room.
Do you plan on disconnecting a bit?