So about 4 years ago, I was that girl who ate anything and everything, deep fried and sugary, without working out a day in my life. Never gained a pound. Then marriage and 2 kids happened. What changed?! Am I getting old? Am I just out of shape? Yes and yes.
Even though someone may not “look” overweight, they may not be happy with their health. Ever since I changed my ways of eating and added fitness to my lifestyle, I have never FELT better. It is all about the way you feel. That is the reason I choose to pay it forward to people who need help with their lifestyle change. YOU are worth it!
I joined a Challenge Group on Facebook. I bought a Shaun T workout program and some Shakeology. 25 minutes a day at home of working out, and a glass of super-food nutrition. I can do this. The Challenge Group was a motivational tool for me to connect with others starting their journey, where we talked about healthy recipes, keeping each other motivated, and sharing our stories. I couldn’t let them down, or myself, or my family. I not only got healthy for them, but mostly for myself. This changed my life. You mean there are people who give a crap if I succeed or not? They will check on me if I didn’t post in the group to see if I worked out or ate well? This is teamwork and this is how you can join in as well.
How to set realistic expectations:
- Be realistic with your goals. This doesn’t happen overnight, that is why I call it a journey. It’s a lifestyle change.
- Start small. If you are just beginning, don’t overdo it.
- The scale means nothing. Stop weighing yourself daily. Stop it.
- Eating small nutritious meals frequently (about 5-6 times daily) is going to be 70% of your results.
Starting small to fight the flab:
- Start with as many push ups and crunches as you can do. If it’s one or three, it doesn’t matter. We all start somewhere.
- Every day increase by one push up and 2 crunches.
- Take the stairs. Take a 30 minute walk, 5 days a week. Cardio is going to lean you out, especially your midsection. Once you start leaning out, you will be able to tone.
- Don’t mess up all your work by eating garbage on the weekends!
- WATER. Drink it! As soon as you wake up drink 8oz of water. You should be drinking half of your body weight in ounces everyday. This is KEY.
- Meal prep. You tend to go for the fast food or junk food if you’re starving and nothing is ready. When you go to the grocery store, come home and wash all of your fruits, lettuce, and vegetables and put them in ziplock bags so they are ready to eat. I even prep all my salads with chicken for my lunches so all I need to do is dress and eat. I promise, you will thank me later.
- Protein! Quinoa, Greek yogurt, black beans, chicken, fish, pork tenderloin, turkey, lean beef, and eggs. For a snack I sometimes eat two hardboiled eggs with a bit of salt and pepper. Yes, eat the yolk!
- Stay positive. It’s easy to get discouraged. Share your plan with a significant other or best friend so they can cheer you on!
Not only did I finish the program and lose all of my baby weight, but I am now paying it forward. That makes me feel amazing that these people have found happiness in the way they feel about themselves.
Sarah Pollard is a fitness enthusiast, motivational momma of two under three, and an Independent Team Beachdody coach. For one on one coaching, tips, questions, or just motivation, feel free to get social via Facebook (send a message and introduce yourself) or at email@example.com.